Thursday, May 6, 2010

First Post

Well, for my very first post ever, all I can think of to talk about is the pigeons. Every plaza, every courtyard, is brimming with pigeons. They seem to particularly love sitting on the heads of the statues of saints surrounding churches. The only thing I think I've seen more of today has been bones - all organized and categorized and even arranged artistically in the catacombs, especially skulls and limbs. It was pretty amazing, and also pretty weird, walking through the underground tunnels where, as our guide put it, "if you get lost you end up as part of the exhibit." Above ground, the fruit vendors make a fun exhibit of their own, selling peeled oranges and pineapples slices wrapped in napkins. For dinner a group of us trooped over to what turned out to be a pretty nice mall right over the beach. The nearness of the ocean made up for eating at a restaurant that was basically a Peruvian Denny's! It was fun. (I'm sorry, Dad and Caitlin, no sand yet - but I'll have more chances later!) Overall today has been quite an adventure, definitely exciting enough to merit running on about six hours of sleep. I'm looking forward to the jungle tomorrow, too - even though an early flight means sleep deprivation once again!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds too exciting for sleep! Nevertheless, I hope you all are catching up on some by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even now, a full night of sleep is pretty rare. Sometimes I think more sleeping goes on in buses and planes than in hotel rooms. It's definitely worth it though!

    ReplyDelete