Friday, May 14, 2010

Machu Picchu











I don't have the right tools to describe this city that we visited yesterday, so I won't try. You can look at the photos and see that everything people say about Machu Picchu is true. All I'll say is that it's easily the most spectacular physical setting for a city that I've ever seen.


If the site were a grassy slope instead of a large mysterious stone city it would still be famous, and well worth visiting. It makes me want to go back to school and one of my original interests, archaeology - it seems to me that there's a thousand questions not yet answered that each could make an archaeologist's career.


My first research question would be, why are there three rows of niches in the agricultural terrace walls on the west side of the city? What a day to see it - we talked with another group in Cuzco today who said their guide was amazed by the weather yesterday - said they only get about 30 days a year like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment